Sunday, August 12, 2012

Olympic Village Live Blog: Day 15

Friday, 4:45 p.m. ET/9:45 p.m. London – The Brits are Smiling

I met this lovely couple tonight at Olympic Stadium, and asked them what these Summer Games have meant to London and the country as a whole. "We think about the summer this time last year, it wasn’t such a great summer for Britain," said Jess Cummings, referring to the riots on the streets. "And you look at the atmosphere in the country now and just everyone, such a party atmosphere in London, everyone sort of has come together and (there's) more of a community spirit in the country now than there ever has been that we’ve known."

Friday, 4:30 p.m. ET/9:30 p.m. London – Golden Women

It was the first time I heard the national anthem in person at an Olympic event, and yes, it brought tears to my eyes -- the gold medal ceremony inside Olympic Stadium for women we'll be talking about for a long time: Allyson Felix, Bianca Knight, Tianna Madison and Carmelita Jeter. These women broke the world record, delivering the best time in the 4 x 100-meter relay race in history.

Friday, 3:30 p.m. ET/8:30 p.m. London – Olympic Stadium Here I Come

When a colleague from NBCOlympics.com says he has a ticket for tonight's track and field events, what did you do? You pack up your computer, grab your chicken teriyaki dinner and fly out the door. It was my first time inside Olympic Stadium since the Opening Ceremony, and my first time watching Olympic track and field action. I probably looked like a kid in a candy store delighted by every sight and sound around me. There is nothing like being with 80,000 people cheering on competitors at the Olympics. It is just that great.

Friday, 10:00 a.m. ET/3:00 p.m. London – The Greatest Athlete in the World

Ashton Eaton, the new decathlon gold medalist, may be called the greatest all-around athlete on the planet, but he's also one of the nicest. No, the magnitude of what he accomplished hasn't sunk in yet, but all the hard work has definitely paid off. Ashton is now being compared to legends, such as Usain Bolt, which the 24-year-old Olympian simply can't believe. Hear what Ashton has to say about those comparisons, his immediate plans with his fiancee, Canadian heptathlete Brianne Theisen and whether he'd consider doing Dancing with the Stars in my interview coming soon on iVillage.com.

Friday, 8:30 a.m. ET/1:30 p.m. London – Wall of Winners

One of my top destinations this morning was the Team USA House to buy treats (very expensive ones!) for my family at the United States Olympic Committee store. Upon arrival, I loved seeing these photos of American athletes displaying the gold they won in London. I couldn't help but think about all the amazing stories behind each and every one of these gold medals.

Friday, 6:30 a.m. ET/11:30 a.m. London – Shopping? Check.

You can't come to London without visiting the legendary Harrods department store. Sadly, it only took me two and a half weeks to get here but I did leave with two shopping bags! I promised my kids one treat per day of the Olympics, which means 17 treats in all. I still have some work to do!

You can follow all of Kelly's behind-the-scenes daily blogs here and her Olympic tweets on Twitter (@kellywallacetv).

The cost of Kelly's travel to London was paid by Procter & Gamble.

Source: http://www.ivillage.com/2012-summer-olympics-behind-scenes-day-15-0/1-b-479603?dst=iv%3AiVillage%3A2012-summer-olympics-behind-scenes-day-15-0-479603

The All-Outdoors Whitewater Rafting California River Club Of The Waves

No comments:

Post a Comment